Monday, December 10, 2012

Glutton - Part 16

Here is the scripture that I have been pondering on for a while.

So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
James 2:17

So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.
James 4:17

Ya'll, James is all up in my business these days.  And just because he is right doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

It's hard for me to accept that I am not going to wake up tomorrow morning completely healed in regards to my obesity and food addiction.  Especially because I know God has the power to do it.  He could at this moment eliminate my desire for anything I should not eat.  But He isn't going to do that.  And I believe He is not going to do that because His plan is for me to glorify Him through this struggle.  And, no, I have no idea exactly how I am supposed to do that.  But if I didn't truly believe that God had a plan to redeem all this nonsense, I would just shut down this blog and go eat a bowl of doughnuts.

And I feel such an urgency to make a change.  Not because of some arbitrary deadline.  There's is no reunion, no contest, no health crisis.  But can such a crisis be far off?  I am ridiculously healthy for a fat person.  But that's kind of akin to saying that I smoke two packs of cigarettes a day but I don't have lung cancer...yet.  The fact that God has blessed with me with better health than I deserve so far doesn't mean that the natural consequence of all this abuse I have heaped upon my body is nullified. 

But this whole deal has to start somewhere.  So here it is.

I am going to start drinking water.

Stop laughing.  I know it's the lamest diet tweak ever.  But after reading diet books and articles for the better part of two decades, a few items show up consistently. And drinking water is one of the big ones.  Do I think I am going to drop 7 pounds in 7 days just through the miracle of water?  Nope.

I'm not going to drink only water.  I'm not going to drink gallons of water.  I am not going to supplement my water with weight loss enhancing herbs.  I'm just gonna drink some water every day whether I like it or not.

And I think the 'like it or not' may be step on a path to freedom.

Hang with me here.

I am not a morning person.  My optimal life would be awake at 10AM and back to bed for the night at 2AM.  I do not like getting up at 5AM every morning.  In fact I HATE it.  But guess what, I have been doing it consistently for the last ten years.  My life with school age children requires that I get up early...so I do. 

So what if a healthy life at a healthy weight required me to choke down a reasonable amount of water every day?

I'm realizing that I don't have to like everything I do.  I just have to do it

2 comments:

Jen said...

STARTING at Water...I never saw that coming! :) Good stuff!

Rachel said...

I know! Although I shouldn't have been surprised. History has proved to me that the thing I am most against is the thing God is most likely to make me start with :)