Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Evangelical


Between the presidential election and the book I am currently reading, I feel like the term 'evangelical" is something I should hide from.  But, the thing is, I am not ashamed of what 'evangelical' really means.  I am ashamed of what that term has come to depict.

Here's Jim Wallis' definition.  (If you don't read him...you should.)

The biggest mistake the religious right made was to make the word "evangelical" a political term. Evangelical is a theological commitment, not a political one. It's about the centrality of Christ and the authority of the Bible. It's following Jesus and our obedience to the Scriptures that leads us to defend the poor, protect the most vulnerable, welcome the stranger, seek racial reconciliation and justice, be good stewards of the environment and peacemakers in a world of war.

Seriously.  YES!!! 


While most evangelicals are still "pro-life," abortion is not their only concern. Not all are convinced that Republicans have the best answers to all the life issues. While most evangelicals are strongly committed to strengthening family life, not all think equal rights for gay and lesbian people are a threat to the family. Poverty reduction, immigration reform, a consistent life ethic, the care of environmental protection, a less militaristic foreign policy and a deep commitment to racial and economic justice are all issues of concern.
 
Ok, I think I am good now.  I feel a whole lot better...really :)

 


No comments: