Monday, November 19, 2012

Glutton - Part 13

I was on a conference call hosted by Jen at Simple Girl Blog.  She's a health coach and I think she's pretty good at it.  Of all the diet stuff that I have tried, her health coaching is something that I have resisted.  Wanna know why? 

 1.  I would like her business to be a success and I don't trust myself enough yet.  I mean imagine if I am still obese this time next year (I won't be!).  I would hate to be the big fat billboard that says "Don't hire Jen!".

 2.  I am pretty sure she will make me start eating green stuff.  People, I am just not there yet, ok?

But I did participate in one call.  And it was great.  At one point, we were discussing the scale.  Why we hate it, why it sucks, etc. and Jen said "What if you just took a year off?"  She wasn't specifically talking to me.  It was a general question.  But I felt the blood roaring through my ears.  My mouth went dry.  I could barely speak. (You see how serious this was right?)  Take a year off?  One part of me was exhilarated.  Twelve glorious months without worrying about weight, diets, gallons of plain water, supplements, exercise, scales, fat clothes.  For just a second, I was Charlie Bucket and I had the golden ticket.  But then reality knocked on my door.  I thought, "Good grief! If I am this fat after dieting for four straight years, how big would I be after a year off!"  Then I envisioned the fire department having to cut off half my house to extricate me or some other TLC style fat person reality scenario. 

So as you can see, I immediately took a simple suggestion to both possible extremes. And extremes are at the heart of my problem.  And so the question I am pondering now is this:  Can a glutton learn moderation?  

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Did you hear my heart beat through the phone when she said that? It did. I'm not there yet either. Because fear has driven me to believe I'll be a failure if the scales don't control me. But, the scales don't control me. So, while I'm not brave enough for a year off the scales (yet). I did put them in my closet and have only brought them out twice (and once was to weigh my Thanksgiving turkey - no joke). Baby steps!

Rachel said...

Oh Whitney! I am so glad it wasn't just me :)