Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bible Tuesday - David Part 29


Let's see if we can catch up here.  After the census debacle, David begins to amass materials and workers to build God's temple. 

Then he called for Solomon his son and charged him to build a house for the Lord, the God of Israel.  David said to Solomon, “My son, I had it in my heart to build a house to the name of the Lord my God.  But the word of the Lord came to me, saying, ‘You have shed much blood and have waged great wars. You shall not build a house to my name, because you have shed so much blood before me on the earth. Behold, a son shall be born to you who shall be a man of rest. I will give him rest from all his surrounding enemies. For his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quiet to Israel in his days.  He shall build a house for my name. He shall be my son, and I will be his father, and I will establish his royal throne in Israel forever.’
1 Chronicles 22:6-10

David appoints Solomon to be the next King of Israel.  When you think about Solomon, try to remember that he is the second son of David and Bathsheba.  I think Solomon is God's way of reminding us that He can fulfill His purpose despite all our nonsense.  God could have raised up the next King from any one of David's other wives.  But He didn't.

Yet the Lord God of Israel chose me from all my father's house to be king over Israel forever. For he chose Judah as leader, and in the house of Judah my father's house, and among my father's sons he took pleasure in me to make me king over all Israel. And of all my sons (for the Lord has given me many sons) he has chosen Solomon my son to sit on the throne of the kingdom of the Lord over Israel. He said to me, ‘It is Solomon your son who shall build my house and my courts, for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father. I will establish his kingdom forever if he continues strong in keeping my commandments and my rules, as he is today.’
1 Chronicles 28:4-7

And then David gives his son a spectacular piece of advice.

And you, Solomon my son, get to know well your father’s God; serve him with a whole heart and eager mind, for God examines every heart and sees through every motive. If you seek him, he’ll make sure you find him, but if you abandon him, he’ll leave you for good. Look sharp now! God has chosen you to build his holy house. Be brave, determined! And do it!”
1 Chronicles 28:9-10

- Get to know your Father's God
- Serve Him
- Seek Him
- Be Brave
- DO IT!!!

Almost all of David's bad parenting can be overlooked by the awesome contained in this last piece of advice. 

No comments: