Thursday, November 15, 2012

Book Review - The Harbinger



It's book club time again ya'll!!!

Since the Oliver North fiasco, I have had really good luck.  Great books, great discussions, great gals.   But I knew it couldn't last.  And so, we were introduced to The Harbinger.

Just look in the top left corner.  You see that blurb?  It says "Extraordinary" - Pat Robertson.  See...that should have tipped me off.  But I bought it on the Kindle where, apparently, they hide the blurbs by crazy TV preachers in an effort to con you into thinking you are reading something good.

There are lots of reasons that the world hates us.  (And by 'us' I mean Christians)  Not the least of which is the fact that Jesus told us the world would hate us.  So I ain't all that concerned by it...but still.  Christian fiction is one of the worst evangelists.  And this book is a real good example of why.

Much like "Ollie's" book, this book is written as fiction to somehow cloak the fact that IT'S TRUE!!!
And that just gets on my nerves.  If your story is true, then have the dang courage to write it as non-fiction.  Because once you wrap your words in the genre of fiction, then it leads me to wonder just how much of this story is made up.  And in the context of this book, the fiction part is what kills it.  The author has copious footnotes.  He can back up his legitimate claims.  But he buries his facts in the clunkiest dialogue in the history of writing.  It is just supremely awful. 

So, quick recap.  America is being warned by God to repent.  So far, so good.  I would absolutely agree that God is not super thrilled with our behavior.  The harbingers are specific events that have occurred that the author ties back to biblical prophecy.  Some are very specific.  Others are a bit vaguer. 

Spoiler Alert! One of the harbingers in John Edwards.  No.  Seriously.

And here's the best part.  My whole book club hated it!  I was so happy.  And look, I am pretty good at being able to love and respect people with whom I disagree.  But this book is doody and I just don't think that is a fact left open for interpretation.

1 comment:

Jen Mulford said...

Amen to the Doody!

And oh my gosh now I am going to have to look up every book cover before I load it on my kindle. That would have been a huge red flag from the get go but I missed it too!

You really need to post this review on Amazon!
Jen