Thursday, November 29, 2012

Book Review - The Casual Vacancy

I hated this book so hard.

I did not approach this book thinking it would be anything like Rowling's Harry Potter series.  I say that because all the glowing reviews of this piece of drivel on Amazon assume this is the reason that people don't like it.  Some reviewers have even compared this to The Grapes of Wrath or Great Expectations.  To this, my only response can be : "What are you smoking?"

The Casual Vacancy is about small town politics.  And it's also about just horrible people.  Is this real life?  I really hope not.  Because this is the saddest bunch of humans I have ever encountered.

The story, in itself, is fairly interesting.  A small town trying desperately to stay insulated from a bigger city to somehow retain their facade of virtue and goodness.  And to give JK Rowling credit...she writes some fine sentences. 

But, in the end, I think she was just trying too hard to prove that she could write an adult novel.  Using the most graphic language over and over again doesn't make something 'grown up'.  And it just seems like someone who is talented enough to create Harry Potter oughta know that.

No comments: