Thursday, August 23, 2012

Book Review - Hillary Mantel Edition




I didn't mean to read these books back to back.  Wolf Hall was published a few years ago.  I should have read it then.  But there was a problem.  I LOVE Henry VIII.  I do not know why.  I just do.  (And I should say, I love the history surrounding Henry...not the actual guy, he pretty much gets on my last nerve.)  But when this book was published, I had just finished watching The Tudors and reading some other Henry type stuff so I just had to have a break.

The hardest part of having a historical obsession is that I have no idea whether anything I know about this period is real or fiction.  All the stories are just mingled together in my mind and that's just the way it is gonna have to be.


These books are 1 and 2 in a planned triliogy.  They focus on the rise of Thomas Cromwell.  Cromwell goes from being the abused son of a blacksmith to the executive minister in Henry VIII's government.  Mantel is such an excellent writer that she makes these characters feel new and undiscovered.  If you are not currently a lil obsessed with this period of history, then read these book and you probably will be.

No comments: