Sunday, February 6, 2011

Confession - Country Music Edition




I don't love county music. I like a lot of it. And I really do enjoy what I consider to be 'real' country music. And, yes, I know the argument about what constitutes real country music is the ultimate Nashville cliche. But I miss Tammy Wynette and Conway Twitty. Heck, I even miss Barbara Mandrell and she's still alive, as far as I know.

But one person I really don't enjoy is Kenny Chesney. It's not his voice, it's his goofy persona. Even the image in this video grates on me. The cowboy hat covering his eyes. And the album title...Hemingway's Whiskey. It actually makes me want to punch something. It's all just so contrived.

That being said. I frickin love this song. LOVE IT. I literally paid money to own a Kenny Chesney song. My street cred (which I never had in the first place) is ruined. And then, much to my chagrin, I found this song while I was searching for the video and I love it too. What's happening to me? Is it just a matter of time before I am attending Fan Fair* to stand in line and get my satin tour jacket signed?

* I know it's not called Fan Fair anymore but I choose to ignore whatever new fancypants name they call it now. It's always gonna be Fan Fair. Accept it and move on.

No comments: