Sunday, February 27, 2011

Book Review - Shanghai Girls




It is my suggestion that all books come with a warning.

Let me just admit that I am a tender soul. I am easily horrified and once I have read, seen, or heard something horrible, it is very hard for me to forget. For example, I have never seen The Blair Witch Project but I am still tortured by my brother's frame by frame description of it delivered as I begged him to shut up while trying to block my eardrums with my fingers. I could give you many other examples but I am trying hard to forget them.

I chose this book based on the cover. Don't they look happy? Much to my chagrin, by page 60, I had already suffered through beheadings, gang rape, and internment camps. Don't you think somebody should have alluded to these things on the book jacket? I don't need this nonsense. If I want to experience torture, I'll start watching the news again. I read for entertainment. Exploding body parts are only entertaining to 19 year old boys which I ain't.

I should have known though. The other book I have read by the author, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was all about foot binding. Which, honestly, is way more terrible than it sounds and it sounds pretty awful.


Is this a good book? Yep.

Is it interesting? You betcha.

Is it worth the trauma? Nope.

No comments: