Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Challenge - I suck edition

"Nobody knows how bad they are until they have tried very hard to be good."
C.S. Lewis


The Good: For one whole month...31 long days, I did not even step foot into Cindy Lou's Used Bookstore. I wanted to. I drive by there at least once a day. And I have a coupon. People, can you begin to understand how hard it is for me to resist used books plus a coupon? It would have been easier for me to turn down a Krispy Creme Doughnut sandwich. (In case you don't know. That's a doughnut between two other doughnuts...sprinkles and chocolate optional.)

The Bad: I bought new bedding for the girls. Here's my excuse. I was gonna buy it anyway. I have been moving kid's rooms around so new bedding has been on my agenda for quite a while. I could have waited until February to buy them but that seemed more like cheating. I also bought Katie a new dresser for her room but she needed it...and I put it together myself...and it was a great deal. Frankly I don't need your judgement.

The Ugly: I guess the hardest part of this challenge was realizing how much I shop. It's odd. I hardly ever go shopping. Meaning I don't go out with a plan to visit several stores and buy stuff. But obviously, I buy stuff online and here and there throughout my week. Somehow I convinced myself that wasn't 'shopping'. Isn't it weird how we delude ourselves? And when I say 'we', I mean 'me'. In the end, I'm glad I tried this. I think it definitely gave me some insight into a troubling behavior of mine. I don't think I need a 12 step program just yet but if one of you guys start to see me at Ross more than twice a month, perhaps an intervention might be in order?

1 comment:

Zebraman said...

I couldn't be the one to stage the intervention because I'd like to be there at least twice per month myself!

My word is "warnbio". I kid you not.