Saturday, August 30, 2008

Work

There were lots of great moments during Obama's nomination acceptance speech. But the line that I am still thinking about is when he referenced 'the dignity of work.' I'm not sure I have ever heard a politician use that term and I was happy to hear it.

I once worked as a hotel maid. It was a summer job after my sophmore year in college. I never planned to make hospitality housekeeping my career or anything (although lately it seems like I might have done just that.) It was just a job. As an adult, when I have mentioned this job to different people, it has produced some rather strong reactions. People have seemed embarrassed for me. As if I have just admitted a 3 month stint in a Bangkok bordello or something.

I do believe that we should all work hard to educate ourselves and obviously most of us don't dream of being hotel maids when we grow up. But somebody has to do those jobs. Someone has to clean your hotel room. Someone has to clean your kid's school. Someone has to bring your food if you eat in a restaurant.

Basically, the world is full of jobs that none of us would volunteer to do. And generally (though we are loathe to admit this) those jobs most often end up being done by those of us who squandered their potential opportunities or those people that never had an opportunity to squander. For instance, when I worked as a maid, there were several mother/daughter teams employed there. It's like a generational curse.

I dream that my own children go to college and find jobs that challenge and inspire them. I pray that they always have the luxury of choosing a job rather than being forced to take whatever is offerred. I hope that they use their gifts and talents to help others. But above all, I am determined that they will understand the 'dignity of work'.

1 comment:

Zebraman said...

I had one buddy who had a summer college job on the DoT road-kill clean up crew. Now that's a job that's hard to not be embarrassed about.