Friday, August 29, 2008

Srsly?

McCain didn't pick Mitt Romney...which saddens me. That would have been so fun. If nothing else, I think his choice does pretty definitively prove that he is, in fact, dumber than a sack of hammers. That may actually be his new campaign slogan, btw.

I never even heard this gal's name until this morning. I'm sure that means nothing. It's not as if I follow politics closely or anything.

I think the main problem is that McCain is just a little confused about some terms.

Like 'surprise'...you see 'surprise' is not always a good thing. For instance, if I was pregnant, Kevin would be 'surprised' but that doesn't mean he would be happy. So keeping this pitful pick secret and then 'surprising' us with it really doesn't help.

Also, I think you were convinced by some Rovian goober on your staff that this choice and timing would somehow negate the positive aftermath of Obama's nomination speech. Look John, you got a lot of news coverage today. But you've been teasing these reporters for so long, I'm pretty sure that would have happened even if you had picked Mr Excitement, Tim Pawlenty. Let's be honest here. Obama handed you your ass in that speech. You know. I know it. And probably 80% of the American people know it. You could have tapped Oprah as your running mate and it wouldn't have mattered.

Because really John, most Americans are just not as stupid as you imagine them to be. We understand that there are lots of strong conservative women that you could have picked to be your VP. Granted, most of them piss me off but that only means that your supporters would have loved them. Liddy Dole, Kaye Bailey Hutchison, Christie Whitman. Any of these names sound familiar? And if you had picked any one of them, I would have given you some credit for making a 'bold' choice. (The fact that women make up over 50% of the population should actually nullify the boldness of picking one as a vp candidate, but whatev.) Instead, you picked a token. Once again proving that 'maverick' must be french for 'pandering ninny'. You see, the idea that any woman would appeal to a woman voter is kind of offensive. Most of us have moved beyond high school and we don't travel or vote as a clique anymore. While we may like the idea that a woman could be Vice President or, heaven help us, President, we'd really like to have some confidence that should a woman ascend to that office, she would be able to do the job.

If that notorious phone rings at 3AM, I'm not confident Mrs Palin would even know which end to speak into.

No comments: