Monday, September 3, 2012

Glutton Part 3

"I never see you eat."

This is definitely in the top three things that people say to me all the dang time.  (Number 1 is "Where are my gym clothes?"  Number 2 is "Can you work in the nursery this Sunday?") 

But, of course, people do see me eat.  What they mean by "I never see you eat" is "No way you could get that fat by eating what I see you eat."  And that's ok.  I understand.  But, honestly, I probably eat a lot less than you. (And by you, I mean some assumed normal person.) 

For example, I've never gone to a fast food drive thru and ordered multiple meals and eaten them all on the way home.  I have almost killed myself trying to drive and eat a Blizzard though.  (That should be even more illegal than DUI because at least drunks are trying to drive.)  I've also never been on one of those binges that you often see depicted in Lifetime television movies.  You know the ones where the camera pans around the kitchen to show empty pie tins, melting ice cream cartons, and then the poor woman is shoving cake into her mouth using her bare hands?  Don't get me wrong.  I've eaten a metric ton of cake in my life.  I just prefer to use a fork...and a plate..and maybe some ice cream just to cut the sweetness.  But I digress.

I am not trying to impress you with these admissions. There are people who suffer with eating disorders that do eat mass quantities of food.  I'm not any better than them. I commit a different version of the same sin.  I just want to try to help you understand that being a glutton isn't about how you look or the quantity of food you eat.  It's about the sin of never being satisfied.  It's about knowing that you are damaging the body God designed for you and taking the bite anyway.  It's about your heart...not your stomach.

1 comment:

Jen Mulford said...

Food, debt, addiction, adultery, jealousy, you name it...it's always about the heart isn't it?

Proverbs 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.