Friday, May 25, 2012

CSA - Week One

So here's what this week's 'mini-share' looked like.


It seemed like a good amount to me but I had nothing to judge it by.  The farm lady told us that as the season progressed, the boxes would become more overfilled. 

The funniest part was I could not identify half the stuff in the box at first glance.  See those green things in the top left?  I though they were some kind of herb?  Guess what they were?


Carrots!!!  
I don't think I have seen carrots in that form since the last time I watched Bugs Bunny.

Then there was this unholy trinity.


Katie googled them for me and we learned they were kohlrabi, beets and onion.
Here's my question.  Does anybody like beets?  I mean really?  I know most people would eat them if they were starving but, other than that, are people out there licking their lips in anticipation of a big ole plate of beets?

I saved the best for last.



These strawberries were as good as Jen said they would be.  They are about 1/4 of the size of normal supermarket berries, but the flavor has no comparison.  I would like to tell you I made some fantastic recipe using these but, the truth is, the kids ate them as fast as I could wash them. 

I used the broccoli from our share by making this recipe.



One large head of broccoli shrinks up to this size when using this recipe but Lordy...this is so good.
The same recipe works with cauliflower too.  Seriously, make this soon and often.  I would never steer you wrong when it comes to food. 

1 comment:

Jen Mulford said...

So far I only like beets two ways...chopped on a Greek Salad and juiced. Seriously, beet juice is AWESOME! And so good for you!

Second, what about the cheese? I've been waiting patiently to hear about the cheese but now I want to know!

Jen