Friday, May 18, 2012

CSA Friday




A few years ago, Kevin and I read The Omnivore's Dilemna and watched Food, Inc.  We became convinced that the corporate food producers were desperate to kill us...slowly.  So we have tried, since then, to make rational changes to life to try to mitigate that assumption.  We are definitely still part of the problem but we have made some progress.  We rarely eat fast food anymore.  (If you still eat fast food daily, I really don't care.  For us it was more of a "How can it cost 30 bucks to eat at McDonald's?" kinda deal.) Sonic and Chik-fil-A still get frequented but I consider eating at Chik-fil-A to be part of my tithe and Sonic is...well it's just too dang good to give up.  There.  I said it.

We buy organic when we can but I spend so much at the grocery store already, 8 dollar blueberries are rarely in my budget.  We still consume a lot of junk and I'm not proud of that but there is no point in lying about it either.  For the past three years I have been investigating Community Shared Agriculture.  There are many more available now and they are convenient for just about everyone.  That being said, all I ever did was research.  I never got beyond that step.  But this year, my new neighbor/buddy did all the legwork and found Doe Run Farms.  It looks like a pretty standard vegetable CSA but they also offer a Food Lover's share that can include fruit and...wait for it...cheese.  I wrote the check fast for this deal. 

My friend Jen is also doing a CSA and she is going to blog about it here.  I am really looking forward to seeing what she does with her share.  She is also part of a meat CSA and I am seething with white hot jealousy.  So, if you want to read well thought out posts about fresh food, go read Jen's blog.  If you want to read endless posts filled with statements such as "Might try to deep fry a radish.", then, by all means, read here too.  I'll try to get something posted every Friday but my good intentions often go awry so don't plan your life around it or anything.

No comments: