Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Bible Tuesday

This is the last Psalm 139 post...unless it isn't.

“ I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful,

I know that full well.”

Psalm 139:14


This verse is so easy to believe about our children but so hard to believe about ourselves.  You cannot hold a newborn baby and marvel at those tiny hands and feet without knowing the truth of this verse.  But isn’t it just as true when I am standing in a fitting room under those fluorescent lights staring into that three sided mirror?  Obviously it is, but my attitude certainly doesn’t reflect that.   And, as much as we would like to believe otherwise, our attitudes toward other people don’t reflect that belief either.  Consider this.  If you passed a woman with a huge nose, would you be more likely to:

A.       Turn to your companion and say “Have you ever seen a nose so big in your entire life?”

B.      Change your Facebook status to reflect that you just saw a woman who could win 2nd place in the “Biggest Nose in America” contest.

C.      Ask yourself “I wonder why God gave her such a distinctive nose?”

I am guessing here that most of us would not answer “C” but I’m feeling more and more that this is the attitude that God desires.  But how do we get there?

We owe more to this verse than we have given it.  It’s too important to just print on a coffee mug or cross stitch on a baby blanket.  We must begin to really believe it.  We must “write it on the tablet of our hearts”.  (Proverbs 3:3)

 ‘Fearfully and wonderfully made’  -  nothing about the way I was made is wrong.

‘Fearfully and wonderfully made’  - nothing about the way I was made was an accident.

‘Fearfully and wonderfully made’  - nothing about the way I was made is outside of the dominion and providence of God.

How do you think we can start walking in the truth of this verse?  For me, today, the answer comes from Mark 9:24 "I believe; help my unbelief!"


No comments: