Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bible Tuesday - More Psalm 139


 You hem me in--behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,

too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?

Where can I flee from your presence?
f I go up to the heavens, you are there;

if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,

if I settle on the far side of the sea,

even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

Psalm 139 :  5-10



I was a high school band nerd.  Our marching band kept a pretty rigorous schedule each fall.  We performed at football games, marching competitions, parades of all sorts and, once, at the opening of a bypass on the interstate.  Most of us were blessed with attentive, loving parents.  But even the best of them could not sustain the energy and interest to attend all of our events.  That changed during my senior year.  Mrs G’s daughter joined the band as a freshman.  Mrs G became our groupie.  At every performance she announced her presence as we marched onto the field.  “That’s my baby!” she would shout at the top of her voice.  Her daughter was embarrassed but the rest of us began to look forward to hearing it. At football games in small rural towns - “That’s my baby!”  At competitions in neighboring states - “That’s my baby!” On the main street in our town during the Christmas Parade -“That’s my baby!”  

Six months after our season had ended; our band took a trip to Disney World.  500 miles from home, we marched down that famous Disney Main Street and guess what we heard? Yep. “That’s my baby!”  Mrs G had travelled all the way to Florida to make her signature proclamation.

I hate to use such a clumsy analogy but God is a lot like Mrs G.  No matter where you go, He is there.  In front of you to lead the way.  Behind you to ‘watch your back’.  Beside you for companionship or support.  And here’s the part that is almost impossible for us to really accept.  You may spend an inordinate amount of time out of God’s will but you are never out of His sight.  You are never out of His reach.   And you are never out of His heart.  He delights in you.  He does not grow weary.  When you succeed.  When you fail.  God is there and he never tires of proclaiming over you.  “That’s my baby!”

No comments: