Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Auld Lang Syne

New Year's Eve 1996

"Promise me you will always take me out on New Year's Eve."

Ryan and I were drunk...very drunk. We had just celebrated New Year's with Ryan's cousin, Shane, and Shane's new girlfriend, Stephanie. (Years later they would marry and Stephanie would end up as one of my closest friends...but that's a different story.) We were talking about all the things that young, stupid, drunk people talk about when Ryan started talking marriage...again. I was crazy in love with him but marriage wasn't on my radar at that point. So I began to demand all kinds of promises and he agreed to every one of them. The only one I can still remember is...

"Promise me you will always take me out on New Year's Eve."

I have not left the house on New Year's Eve since then.

Frankly, I blame myself.

I must admit that I really don't mind staying in. I'm not a party girl. There. I said it.

I have had some fantastic celebrations at home. And except for a few post divorce years, I usually enjoy myself very much. In 2005, Savannah and Ava went to sleep very early. Kaylee was 6 at the time and forced me to stay awake until midnight. We both fell asleep about ten seconds after the ball dropped. 2006 was my first New Years Eve with Kevin. We had all our kids plus a few. I finally had someone to kiss at midnight.

And, honestly, as long as I have Kevin to kiss at midnight, I don't care if I stay home every New Year's Eve.

No comments: