Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lazy Friday



We slept very late the next morning. We only had a few days in one of the world's greatest cities and we slept late. Here's the thing...I never get to sleep in...NEVER. Did I mention we were on our honeymoon? We emerged from our hotel room thoroughly unmotivated to do anything but return to our hotel room. We headed out nonetheless and tried our best to be tourists. We made our first stop at the Tower of London. It was so late that they would only be open for another hour so we decided to come back later in the trip and had ice cream instead. That's how we roll.





We ended up at St Paul's Cathedral. How can I begin to describe this place? It was like nothing I had ever experienced before. I found myself literally crying over how beautiful it was. I have a confession though. We arrived just in time to attend the Evensong service held at the cathedral. It was this very solemn, holy service. I was reverent but inside me my eight year old self was jumping up and down screaming "I just walked down the same aisle Princess Di walked down when she married Prince Charles!" "I am standing at the very spot that Princess Di stood when she said her vows!" Look...I'm not one of these Royal groupie types. I don't have any Prince William commemorative plates or anything like that. I do have a weird fascination with Henry VIII but really, doesn't everybody? I just have such vivd memories of watching that wedding on television when I was a little girl. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would stand in that church.



We ended the day with fish and chips at a pub very close to our hotel. The food was actually fantastic (which I had not expected) and Kevin introduced ne to Bulmer's apple cider. If ever I become an alcoholic, this stuff will be to blame.

1 comment:

Zebraman said...

That was a neat way to spend the day. Evensong was wonderful, a very spiritual experience. And the Bulmers with you at the Pub was even better.

My word is "flogyra" - sounds like a female problem as in "OMG, you have flow-jyra?!?"