Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Bible Tuesday - Revelation Part 3


It was Sunday and I was in the Spirit, praying.
Revelation 1:10

Poor, old John is exiled on Patmos.  It's Sunday so he does what he always does.  He worships.  He is not lying on the rocky beach whining about the sad  state of his life.  He is not shaking his fist at the God who brought him here.  John is praying. 

And God rewards John, his faithful servant, with a revelation.

I heard a loud voice behind me, trumpet-clear and piercing: “Write what you see into a book. Send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea.” I turned and saw the voice.
I saw a gold menorah
with seven branches,
And in the center, the Son of Man,
in a robe and gold breastplate,
hair a blizzard of white,
Eyes pouring fire-blaze,
both feet furnace-fired bronze,
His voice a cataract,
right hand holding the Seven Stars,
His mouth a sharp-biting sword,
his face a perigee sun.
Revelation 1:10-16
 
Don't get bogged down in this description.  John was praying. He hears a voice.  He turns around and sees Jesus.  Is this the best day ever?  Or what?
 
John reacts in a way that seems completely reasonable to me.
 
I saw this and fainted dead at his feet.
Revelation 1:17
 
Don't you think this just tickled Jesus?  I imagine him smiling and shaking his head over John at this point.  (Understand I have no biblical basis for this.  It just seems like what Jesus would do.)
 
 “Don’t fear: I am First, I am Last, I’m Alive. I died, but I came to life, and my life is now forever.
Revelation 1:17-18
 
It's possible (based upon that weird description) that John did not fully recognize Jesus.  But Jesus reassures him.  This verse is basically saying "Don't be scared buddy.  It's just me."
 

No comments: