Monday, January 28, 2013

Glutton - Part 22


I feel better than I have in a very long time. 

This is the hard part.  I feel like I am doing everything I need to do to reclaim my body.  I have more energy.  I am sleeping better.  But the pull to jump on a scale is overwhelming.

And isn't that completely goofy?  Because no matter what number flashes off that thing, it won't really change anything.  Oh, it may make me temporarily happy or depressed, but as far as really telling me what kind of progress I am making?  Nope.

But I am not going down that road again. 

Here are a few things that I have been consistently doing this time around. 

- I am eating three meals a day and no snacks.  Look, I am not going to argue with you about this.  I don't actually care if you eat 24 small meals every day.  But, for me, not having to think about what snack is appropriate has been very helpful.  I can't be trusted (yet) to make healthy choices.  So limiting the amount of choices I make is nice. 

- Along those lines, I am streamlining my menu.  For example, I eat the same breakfast every day. Breakfast is just hard for me.  I DO NOT want to eat in the mornings.  I just want coffee and peace.  The very idea of food is nauseating to me at 5AM.  But the thing is...everything I have read about diet and nutrition for the past 25 years has stressed the importance of breakfast. If I want the body I never had, I have to start eating like I never have.  And if that means choking down breakfast every day...so be it.

- Dinner is my last meal of the day.  Period.  I don't have a specific time I must be finished.  But when I am done, I am done.  This eliminates the 9PM kitchen search.  Nobody makes good choices after 9PM.  That rule applies to pretty much anything...not just food.

And here's the biggest change I have made so far.

Every morning before I get out of bed, I pray.  It goes something like this.  "God, without you I am going to screw this up. Let's keep that from happening today."

Every night before I go to sleep, I pray.  "Thank you God for getting me through today.  Also I really appreciate how you helped me not eat those Totinos Pizza Rolls.  I know I should not have even had those in the house much less cooked a giant pan of them.  Thank you for being bigger than all my stupid."

No comments: