Monday, October 8, 2012

Glutton - The Getaway

So at this point, setting the glutton free has to go from ' cute idea' to 'real life application'.  I hate this part by the way.

So to that end, Kevin took the glutton on a romantic getaway.  Let me give you an idea of how this would normally work.  1) At least four days of eating whatever prior to the trip under the assumption that I am going to eat like a starved prisoner at all the great places my husband is going to take me to. 2) Upon arrival (or even starting in the car or airplane) - actually eating like a starved prisoner at all the great places he takes me to.  3)  At least 4 days of unrestricted eat-a-palooza after the return.  This is mostly depression eating because the trip is over and reality is no fun.

The crux of my journey is to learn from the  copious mistakes of my past.  So based upon the above paragraph, I planned for this trip.  I ate NO sugar in advance of leaving.  I packed no crap, of any kind in the car.  I did pack a variety of great, acceptable food to keep in the cabin.  NOT diet food.  Acceptable food that did not contain sugar or flour.  I also packed 4 sticks of butter because come on, you never know when you are gonna need to fatten up a food to get you over a rough spot.  Butter is like methadone for the carb addict in case you didnt know.

Day one.  We arrive.  I DO NOT eat one cruddy product from a convenience store.  Why does every gas station have a Krispy Kreme counter now?  This is my kryptonite!  We eat dinner at a decent place.  Not a gourmet paradise because we are starving and unwilling to wait.  I have a great meal and don't feel deprived in the least.  As we walk around after dinner, Kevin makes a beeline to the Ben and Jerry's ice cream store.  (Have I mentioned that Kevin is a diabetic?)  I am not gonna lie to you here.  I wanted Ben and Jerry's ice cream.  But it wasn't an overwhelming need so I passed and barely hated my husband at all for eating it in front of me. 

Day two.  Perfect relaxing day.  I hardly think about food at all.  When I experience times like these, I'm always struck by the fact that a lot of you are this way all the time.  Just living life without spending any serious amount of time contemplating why pumpkin tastes so delicious in every friggin thing.  I envy you...in a big way.  We had dinner at one of my favorite places.  The first uh oh was the salad dressing.  It's just almost impossible to get a commercially prepared dressing without unnecessary sugar.  I wanted the salad so I ate the dressing but this deal taught me a good lesson.  I ain't going out to eat anymore without my homeemade dressing.  I will get a fancy thermos style bag and just throw it in my purse.  If the idea of me pulling out my squeezie bottle offends you, don't invite me to lunch..or dinner...or whatever.

The rest of the meal was great.  Lots of carby sides but they didn't look good enough to cause me to crack.

When we returned to the cabin, it happened. 

I ate the malted milk ball.
And it wasn't just your garden variety Whopper.  It was a fancy pants, covered in two inches of belgian chocolate type candy.  Merciful Lord...it was fantastic.
And then I ate another one.
And then I did something crazy. 
I stopped.
Did I want to eat more malted milk balls?
Yes.  Yes I did.
I wanted to eat the whole bag, then get in the car, drive down the mountain, buy another bag and eat it too.
But I didn't.
And not eating more felt bad.
And here's what I discovered.

Feeling bad is ok. 

No comments: