Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bible Tuesday - David Part 23

Ok.  Confession time.  I had no idea this David thing would go on for so long.  I had three points I wanted to make about David when I started this.  After 22 posts, I have made ONE of them.  So, first, I want to say thank you for hanging with me.  I know it hasn't been easy.  And, second, I want to warn you that I have no idea how long this is going to go,  I keep wanting to skip stuff but I feel like God led me here for a reason and I really don't want to miss it. 

Where were we?

Oh yeah.  David and his son Absalom have made up after that rape, murder, banishment situation.  Surely things are gonna go well from here on out?  Right?!?!

In the course of time, Absalom provided himself with a chariot and horses and with fifty men to run ahead of him.  He would get up early and stand by the side of the road leading to the city gate. Whenever anyone came with a complaint to be placed before the king for a decision, Absalom would call out to him, “What town are you from?” He would answer, “Your servant is from one of the tribes of Israel.” Then Absalom would say to him, “Look, your claims are valid and proper, but there is no representative of the king to hear you.” And Absalom would add, “If only I were appointed judge in the land! Then everyone who has a complaint or case could come to me and I would see that they receive justice.” Also, whenever anyone approached him to bow down before him, Absalom would reach out his hand, take hold of him and kiss him.  Absalom behaved in this way toward all the Israelites who came to the king asking for justice, and so he stole the hearts of the people of Israel.
2 Samuel 15:1-6

So clearly Absalom is still harboring a bit of resentment towards dear old dad.  Long story short, Absalom cons his way into the hearts of the people and declares himself King.  Kinda makes your teen mouthing off to you at the dinner table seem like no big deal now doesn't it?

David flees Jerusalem and those loyal to him follow.

But David continued up the Mount of Olives, weeping as he went; his head was covered and he was barefoot. All the people with him covered their heads too and were weeping as they went up.
1 Samuel 15:30

I love that David responds to this situation in this way.  No ego driven boasting and bravado.  His kid has betrayed him.  His friends have denied him.  His people have abandoned him.  And David weeps.  A man after God's own heart is not afraid to weep when the situation warrants it.  But you know what my favorite part is?  David was 'weeping as he went".  Yes, he was weeping.  But ya'll, he was still going.  His sorrow did not keep him from putting one foot in front of the other on the road that God had prepared for him.



No comments: