Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bible Tuesday - David Part 15


So when we last left David he was jumping off a giant cliff of stupid.  The actual text suggests that David 'just happened' to see Bathsheba bathing and sent his men to find out who she was.  He invited her to the castle and yada, yada, yada, she ended up pregnant.  As I told you last week, I think David had known of Bathsheba for a long time.   And as her husband and father were off fighting, David knew she would be alone.  I am not contradicting scripture here.  I am just suggesting that this is what I read between the lines.  Don't go telling your preacher my theory or you will probably get kicked off of the VBS committee. 

And can I just admit here that that is what really bothers me about the way this story gets interpreted?  I have heard multiple sermons indicating that Bathsheba somehow ensnared David.  One preacher even said that she knew David could see her roof from the castle and purposefully went up there to shower.  I assume his point was that David could not be held responsible for his actions while looking at a naked woman. 

Stay with me.  David was the king.  I am not suggesting that he raped Bathsheba but was saying no really an option for her?  And honestly I just really don't know what went down.  From all accounts David was hot.  Bathsheba was hot.  Maybe those two had been making eyes at each other over the mailbox for years.  I am gonna get the real story from somebody in heaven, but for now, we'll just have to wonder.

If you are still trying to give David the benefit of the doubt here, just stop.  Because he is about to double down on this sin wagon.

Then David sent word to Joab: “Send me Uriah the Hittite.” So Joab sent him to David.  When Uriah arrived, David asked him how Joab and the army were getting along and how the war was progressing. Then he told Uriah, “Go on home and relax.” David even sent a gift to Uriah after he had left the palace.  But Uriah didn’t go home. He slept that night at the palace entrance with the king’s palace guard.
2 Samuel 11:6-9

Remember this little tidbit?
She had just completed the purification rites after having her menstrual period.
That piece of information is included to make absolutely sure that you know and Uriah will know that he did not get his wife pregnant. So David thinks if he can just get Uriah to come home and have a happy reunion with his wife, then he can pass off his own child as Uriah's. Seems like a good plan to me. What could possibly go wrong?

No comments: