Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bible Tuesday - David Part 13

The ark is in Jerusalem and David is ready to start something else. 

Now when the king lived in his house and the Lord had given him rest from all his surrounding enemies, the king said to Nathan the prophet, “See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells in a tent.”  And Nathan said to the king, “Go, do all that is in your heart, for the Lord is with you.”
1 Samuel 7:1-3

Nathan may have been a prophet but he spoke a bit too soon.  I understand though.  I mean, on it's surface, this plan of David seems like a good deal.  What could God possibly object to?

But that same night the word of the Lord came to Nathan,  “Go and tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord: It is not you who will build me a house to dwell in.  For I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up Israel to this day, but I have gone from tent to tent and from dwelling to dwelling.  In all places where I have moved with all Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people, saying, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”’  Now, therefore, thus shall you say to my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, to be prince over my people Israel,  and I have been with you wherever you have gone and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a name, like the name of the great ones of the earth.  And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, that they may dwell in their own place and be disturbed no more. And violent men shall waste them no more, as formerly,  from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel. And I will subdue all your enemies.
1 Chronicles 17:3-10

I think David had the best motives here.  I think he really did want to do something for God.  I believe God understands that we don't really know how to respond to his overwhelming blessings without action.  God didn't need David to build Him a house as a thank you gift.  But David needed to do something.  For some reason, we all think gratitude just isn't enough.  You will see modern Christians doing this too.  They will actually use their good behavior as a method of paying God back.  As if living a perfectly moral life (whatever) will put them on a level playing field with God.  As if their good behavior and (self) righteous living will lower the debt they owe to the one who created them.  The sad part is those people never get to have any joy in their lives because they can never be quite good enough. 


‘Furthermore, the Lord declares that he will make a house for you—a dynasty of kings! For when you die and are buried with your ancestors, I will raise up one of your descendants, your own offspring, and I will make his kingdom strong.  He is the one who will build a house—a temple—for my name. And I will secure his royal throne forever.  I will be his father, and he will be my son. If he sins, I will correct and discipline him with the rod, like any father would do.  But my favor will not be taken from him as I took it from Saul, whom I removed from your sight.  Your house and your kingdom will continue before me for all time, and your throne will be secure forever.’
2 Samuel 7:11-16

God doesn't just say "I appreciate the thought Dave." Nope. He ups the ante. And here's the best part.  David finally gets it.  He doesn't try to pay God back for this eternal blessing. 

“Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?  And now, Sovereign Lord, in addition to everything else, you speak of giving your servant a lasting dynasty! Do you deal with everyone this way, O Sovereign Lord?
2 Samuel 7:18-19

Tell the truth.  Can you read this verse without grinning like an idiot?
Do you deal with everyone this way, O Sovereign Lord?
I think it's David's way of saying. "Admit it God.  I'm your favorite." 
And David is God's favorite.  And so am I.  And so are you.








No comments: