Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bible Tuesday - David Part 14


In the spring of the year, when kings normally go out to war, Joab led the Israelite army in successful attacks against the land of the Ammonites. In the process he laid siege to the city of Rabbah. However, David stayed behind in Jerusalem.
1Chronicles 20:1


When you read the phrase - However, David stayed behind in Jerusalem - you should begin to hear that ominous horror movie music.  Since I know what's about to go down, I want to scream "Dave, don't do it!  Don't go outside!" 

Late one afternoon, after his midday rest, David got out of bed and was walking on the roof of the palace.
2 Samuel 11:2

Yep.  David went outside.  And guess what happened?

As he looked out over the city, he noticed a woman of unusual beauty taking a bath.  He sent someone to find out who she was, and he was told, “She is Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite.”  Then David sent messengers to get her; and when she came to the palace, he slept with her. She had just completed the purification rites after having her menstrual period. Then she returned home.  Later, when Bathsheba discovered that she was pregnant, she sent David a message, saying, “I’m pregnant.”
2 Samuel 11:2-5

From what I can tell, David had seven wives at this point.  Seven.  I'd be willing to bet he also had a whole bunch of concubines.  So clearly David could have satisfied his urges with many women.  But he was bored and Bathsheba was beautiful. 

Ya'll.  I have been mad at David my whole Christian life over this deal.  Here's why.

Bathsheba is Uriah's wife.  Uriah is no stranger to David.  Remember?  He was one of David's mighty men.  There were less than 40 of those guys.  David knew Uriah well.  And Bathsheba's dad's name was Eliam.  I can't prove it but I think he is the same Eliam we see in 2 Samuel 23:34.  If I am right (and seriously, how many Eliams could there be?)  then Bathsheba's dad was one of David's mighty men also.  That means that David knew Bathsheba pretty dang well.  He didn't just happen on to that roof and find himself ensnared by the silken glance of some unknown hottie.  For one thing, David was tight with her daddy and her husband.  For another, she clearly lived NEXT DOOR!!!   So I am just not buying this story that David has to send somebody to find out who she is. 

The lies, unfortunately, are just beginning.  And things are gonna get real bad real fast.

1 comment:

Jen Mulford said...

Love it! I had thought about the betrayal to Uriah before but I had never really thought about the father AND that David actually did have to know who she was already...very true.

Second...any time we'd like to go back to women being sent away during their periods I'm in! I think a mini vacation once a month is a great! Can you just see it now...your cell phone rings, "Mom, the dog ate the cat, dad flooded the house and I'm really not sure what this rash is covering my body!?" "I'm sorry honey, I would really love to come home and clean all of that up but my days of purification are not over yet, I'm sorry my hands are tied, Gods rules not mine...see you Monday!"