Friday, June 1, 2012

CSA - Week Two

This week's harvest was much bigger.  The fruit share was strawberries.  Probably one more week of those.  No strawberry pictures because the kids ate the berries before I could document them.  I bet there are tons of great recipes using strawberries but I am never gonna get a chance to use them.  Here's what else was in the box.



Cauliflower and Broccoli.
I roasted them both.  I have to start looking for some new recipes for these guys but honestly, roasting makes them so good I desire no variety...yet.


More friggin beets :( 
 My friend Lauren took the beet greens to make this casserole.  I haven't tried it but she swears it is awesome.

Greens-n-Beans Cobbler
3 to 4 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
1 whole green garlic, finely diced
1 large bunch collards, washed and chopped
1 large bunch beet greens, washed and chopped
Generous pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
Generous pinch salt
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 15.5 oz. can red beans, rinsed and drained
Topping Ingredients:
1 c. flour
1 c. cornmeal
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
1 egg
1 c. plain yogurt
4 Tbsp. neutral oil, like sunflower
1 can corn, well-draine
Heat olive oil in a large oven-safe pan over medium low heat.  Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 5 or 6 minutes.  Add garlic and cook just a couple of minutes more.  Increase heat to medium and add all the greens, red pepper flakes and salt.  Stir well, and then reduce heat to low and cover.  Cook until desired doneness is reached, stirring occasionally and adding a tiny bit of water if greens start to stick to the bottom of the pan.  (I like mine really well-cooked, southern style!)  Preheat oven to 400°.  Stir tomato paste into greens.  If you would like a saucy cobbler base, also stir in ½ cup or so of water.  Stir in beans, and let mixture simmer on low while you get the topping ready.
In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda.  In a separate bowl, lightly beat egg, and then mix in yogurt and oil.  Pour into dry ingredients along with drained corn and mix just until it comes together.
Remove greens from heat and drop big spoonfuls of the corn batter over the top.  Put in oven and bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until batter is cooked.  Serve while hot with plenty of hot sauce!

I used the squash to make this casserole.  I didn't taste it but it was a hit at my family reunion so it must have been at least tolerable.

I used the zucchini to make three loaves of zucchini bread.  Nobody ate it.  I finally force fed a bite to the teens.  Anna said she could possibly stand it if it was covered with cream cheese icing.  I could eat a whole zucchini if it was covered with cream cheese icing so...

And we still haven't eaten the cheese. 
I am so ashamed.
This week's variety is the soft, spreadable kind.  Looks very similar to cream cheese.  Kevin gets home in a few days so I plan to decimate our cheese stockpile and report back.

No comments: