Friday, September 9, 2011

The Way We Were (Are)




20 years ago I graduated from high school. I was apathetic, at best, about attending my class reunion. At my 10th, my group of friends ended up in the hotel lobby apart from the rest of the class. We were band nerds. We were used to being on the outside looking in. But years of maturity made us realize we kinda liked it on the outside.
So when my friend Kristena suggested that we have a mini-reunion with just the people we liked, I felt we had a genius solution. A few of us met at my house with a whole bunch of kids. (Yes, most of them were mine. What's your point?) We ate. We laughed. I said the phrase "I don't remember" around 1000 times. So much had not changed. Kristena still has the exact same hand gestures when she tells a story. Dawn still has the face of a teenager. (Wrinkle already dammit!) And Andy is still...well...Andy.

But many things have changed. Chris has two kids. (Who would have ever thought he would be a dad?) Inconceivable. And he's really good at it. And, for some reason that made me proud as if I had anything to do with it. Jason's voice is so deep now. When did that happen? Everybody else sounded the same but Jason sounds like he could sing bass with the Gaither Vocal Band or work as a DJ.

There were lots of our 'group' who couldn't attend but we went ahead and had a great time without them. The kids got along great. Loudly...but great. Dawn married the ultimate band nerd (He's a director!!!) so we bonded with him immediately.
I think we turned out pretty good. I had not seen these guys in a very long time but, though it is a cliche, it seemed like just yesterday that we were riding that school bus to a Friday night football game. I loved them then. I love them now. I can't wait twenty more years to see them again. I'm planning on no more than 5.

1 comment:

Zebraman said...

You were soooo flippin' cute! I think the real reason you didn't have as many boyfriends as you wanted was because you must not have brushed your teeth or something like that. ;^)