Saturday, September 17, 2011

Book Review - Summer Rental


Nobody cures a bad reading slump like Mary Kay Andrews.

I was having one of those weeks. The kind where every book I opened was completely uninspiring. It was depressing. Then I got the happy email from the library informing me that Summer Rental was waiting for me. I knew things were gonna get better.

Mary Kay Andrews is no John Steinbeck. That's not meant as an insult. She's a fun Southern writer. There is no shame in that. Summer Rental is about a group of friends who rent a ramshackle beach house for a summer vacation. Normally I shy away from books about 'female friends reuniting...blah, blah, blah". It's a very tired fiction formula. But this book (mostly) avoids the cliches. The friends each have interesting life circumstances that don't feel contrived. There is a mystery roomate and a cute landlord. Seriously, what else could you need?

No comments: