Monday, November 8, 2010

Book Review - Quitters Edition




Dear Mr Cronin,

I really wanted to read your book. I even requested it from the library. I only do this for books I want to read big time. I had read several glowing reviews of your work and even saw it featured on Amazon and in the Costco magazine. (I trust the Costco magazine in all areas.)

I only made it through 60 pages. And they were 60 awesome pages. You write really, really well. I was completely entranced by your story. You had already woven a rather intricate plot foundation. I was impressed.

But I just had to put your book down. It was just too much. Not too long. I love long books. Just too much.

By page 60, I had already been introduced to two dozen characters. And every one of those characters had a horrible back story. I suffered through the FBI agent who had watched his infant daughter die. The chemically castrated pedophile who was working on the highly secure secret project. The down on her luck waitress who becomes a single mom then a prostitute then a murderer. When this character abandons her 6 year old daughter at a convent, I nearly passed out from grief just imagining what it would take to walk away from one of my children. You wrote that stuff very well. But when I read the story about the nun who befriends the little girl, I knew I had to stop reading. Nothing you wrote was intentionally shock producing. I know you weren't trying to burden my soul. But you did. And, honestly sir, I am just to tender-hearted for this sort of thing. We live in a world that is pretty brutal. Just reading the newspaper can often send me into the 'ugly cry'. So while, I am sure that the rest of your novel is just as well written as the first 60 pages, I just don't have the emotional fortitude to withstand it.

Sincerely,
Rachel

No comments: