Sunday, June 14, 2009

Book Review



Look, I think we all know that nobody appreciates a Tudor story more than me. My fascination with Henry VIII is long established. It's hard to disappoint me with this subject matter. This author somehow managed to bore me nonetheless.

Obviously it's a great story. But Alison Weir took a wrong turn somewhere along the way. Basically she is a historian. She has written lots of nonfiction books and the Tudors are one of her main areas of expertise. I'm wondering why she didn't just stick with nonfiction.

The main problem is that this novel is all basically true. From what I can tell, the only thing that makes this book 'fictional' is the dialogue that she creates. It's a fantastic story but Weir didn't create it, she just embellished it. Honestly, if all that is necessary to write a novel is to take a real event or person and add some made up conversations, you should expect my first novel very soon. It will either be about an English preschool teacher who marries the Prince of Wales or about a young black guy who becomes president of the United States.

No comments: