Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Book Review



Wally Lamb...

I feel honored to read his novels as they are published because I fully believe that he is the John Steinbeck of the 21st century. Someday my grandkids will read these books. I predict whole college courses will focus on his novels. He's just that damn good.

I read this book while Kevin was on a business trip. I had to. I knew once I started it that the home and family would be ignored until I finished it and I was right. Luckily, Lamb only publishes a book every 5 years or so.

I admit that when it comes to books I may be overly effusive. But I don't consider it hyperbole to say that this book is one of the great American novels. It's the story of Caelum Quirk and his wife, Maureen. They both work at Columbine High School. The story begins just before the shooting there and ends at present day. Lamb's charcters are fictional but the events that he uses as a backdrop are all real.

As I read this book, I began to think that Lamb was overdoing it by including all these events...Columbine, 9/11, Afghanistan, Irag, Katrina. But then I realized, we lived through all these things. Why shouldn't his character?

Lamb is a master at creating a backstory that is often more interesting than his main narrative. In this novel, his backstory is of Caelum's family, specifically his great grandmother, and their involvement with women's prison reform. I know that sounds boring as hell, but I assure you, it ain't.

Read it and weep.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments: