Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Book Review



Yawn

Ever since I read Memoirs of a Geisha and anything written by Amy Tan, I just assume any novel based on an Asian is gonna be awesome. Is that racist? I don't know. I'm asking. Anyway, this novel has cured me of that supposition.

The book is about Haruko, the daughter of a Japanese businessman that ends up married to Japan's crown prince. Apparently it is a loose adaptation of actual events. Of course Haruko gives up her old life and tries to learn the culture of the imperial court. She has a son. She has a nervous breakdown. Blah, blah, blah.

Look, I get what the author was going for here. He's trying to get his readers to decide what 'freedom' is worth. Is it a fair trade for Haruko to give up control of her own life and children for the opportunity to be Empress of Japan? All I can tell you is that women have been giving up their freedom since the beginning of time for a whole lot less in return. That doesn't make it right, but it's true.

1 comment:

Zebraman said...

Now - back to work woman! You've dallied too long! Whipcrack!