Saturday, May 9, 2009

Book Review



This book is so damn sad. It is well written and contains plenty of beautiful sentences which you will remember I enjoy...big time. But the book is one big series of tragedies each more horrible than the next.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't created so many plot expectations. The summary on the book flap promised a smoldering love story and a family ripped apart by patriotic duty. Sounds awesome as hell, doesn't it? I gotta quit reading book flaps.

The main character emigrates to America (specifically a small town in North Dakota. Does North Dakota have anything but small towns? I don't know. I'm asking. ) His name is Fidelis. He is originally from Germany and he was a sharpshooter in WWI. He's also a Master Butcher...who can sing. Fidelis opens a butcher shop with his wife Eva and their four sons. He starts a singing club with men in the town. That's pretty much the only mention of the singing club. I'm guessing the author thought it would make an intriguing title but just didn't care enough to make it a central part of the story.

Anyhoo, Eva dies a horrible death. Eva's friend and employee, Delphine helps take care of the house, shop and children after her death. More tragedy ensues. Then Delphine (who has already had her share of nonsense which I have chosen not to relate here) marries Fidelis. I assume this is supposed to be the love story. I feel bad for anyone who reads this and thinks these two characters are in love.

Mostly I'm annoyed at the missed opportunities. The Fidelis/Delphine love story could have been awesome especially if they had fallen in love while his wife was still alive. Just think of the guilt and longing. Also, the story about Fidelis being a German in America during WWII could have been really interesting. The author barely touches the subject. Maybe she thought it was too obvious?

Lots of smart people loved this book. I didn't hate it, I just need you to know that it's depressing and sometimes gross. Maybe you like that kind of thing...

No comments: