Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Bible Tuesday


It was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
taking them by the arms;
but they did not realize
it was I who healed them.
I led them with cords of human kindness,
with ties of love.
To them I was like one who lifts
a little child to the cheek,
and I bent down to feed them.


Hosea 11:3-4

“How can I give you up, Ephraim?
How can I hand you over, Israel?
How can I treat you like Admah?
How can I make you like Zeboyim?
My heart is changed within me;
all my compassion is aroused.
I will not carry out my fierce anger,
nor will I devastate Ephraim again.
For I am God, and not a man—
the Holy One among you.
I will not come against their cities.


Hosea 11:8-9

At 5AM on February 14th, I came to this passage in my normal bible reading plan.  God's ability to speak directly to me through His word never fails to thrill me.

God sent me a Valentine.

Hosea 11 is one of my all time favorite passages in scripture.  (I say that too much don't I?  Sorry.)  It's the juxtaposition of two kinds of love presented here that overwhelms me.  In verses 3 and 4, God is Father.  Do you remember when your kids were learning to walk?  If you were like me, you walked a thousand miles bent over holding onto little hands.  That's the picture here. 

But verse 8 is much different. God has determined that His people must pay for their sin.  They have followed idols, sacrificed to other gods and generally ignored the one who created them.  (Sound familiar?)  But, He just can't do it.  And I am so humbled to know that the only thing that can change God's mind is His consuming love for us. 


No comments: