Friday, December 2, 2011

Book Review - The Beekeeper's Apprentice


Lord have mercy...I loved this book.

This novel is the first in a series ( a series - yeah!!!) It is a new take on Sherlock Holmes. In this series, Holmes is in his early 50's. He has 'retired' and is living outside London in a small country village. Holmes is literally stumbled upon by his 15 year old neighbor Mary Russell. Mary has lost her parents and brother in a car accident and is living with her aunt until she comes into her inheritance at age 21. In Mary, Holmes finds a comparable mind to his own. He takes her on as his apprentice.

Here's the thing. I have never read the original Sherlock Holmes. Everything I know about the famous detective, I learned from Robert Downey Jr. So I enjoyed this book without any preconceptions about how the characters should act. This book is chock full of cases to be solved. And I thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of them.

No comments: