Friday, November 4, 2011

Book Review - Silver Girl


I really wasn't that excited about reading this book. It came in at the library at the same time as A Game of Thrones. I was about 40 pages into that one when I made the egregious error of leaving it in the bathroom. (Yes, I read in the bathroom. Where else would I find the time? Multitask people!) Anyway, Kevin found my book and I never got it back. So, in desperation, I turned to this book. It wasn't half bad actually.

Silver Girl is a novel but the author bases her main character on Bernie Madoff's wife. Meredith Delinn is the wife of Freddy Delinn who has been convicted of a 50 billion dollar ponzi scheme. She is universally hated by her friends and most of America. When she loses everything but the clothes on her back, her old friend allows her to spend the summer in her Nantucket beach house.

Elin Hildebrand is big on Nantucket. All her books are set there so this is no surprise. In order to enjoy this book, you have to get past the 'oh sure, of course she has a rich old friend with a friggin beach house' thing. It wasn't easy. But if you can get past it, it's a worthy read. In this book, Meredith doesn't know anything about her husband's scam. No one believes her, of course. But it is an interesting way to view both the real and fictional character.

No comments: