Thursday, July 7, 2011

Book Review - All Over But The Shouting



"If you have never had a Krispy Kreme doughnut, I do not know how to describe them to you. It would be like trying to explain young love to a celibate priest."
Dear Mr Bragg,

I was wondering if we could be best friends? I just read your book. I love you. I love your mama. I love that a kid from Alabama won the Pulitzer Prize. I did not grow up like you. My dad did not run off when I was young. I was not poor. But I was raised in the South and I do have a slightly crazy family. Those things are an important bond for us.

Tell your wife she doesn't have to worry about me. I am happily married. I love my husband. But I feel both our lives could be enriched if you called me from time to time. I could tell you about my nutty great aunt Annie. You could tell me about your uncle Jimbo. We could talk about southern food with reverence while our spouses roll their eyes at us. Don't you think your writing could be seriously enhanced by a deep, intimate friendship with a chubby Southern housewife?

Think about it and let me know.

Love,
Rachel

No comments: