Monday, October 5, 2009

2009

The summer that we got




Yeah...I know. Summer is long over. I'm behind on my blogging. Sue me.

Anyway...

I once worked with a girl who loved the Lost tv series. She talked about it all the ding dong day. At the time, I think it aired on Wednesday nights so I never got a chance to watch it beacuse it conflicted with church. Fast forward five years later and I added the available seasons to my Netflix queue. This is what I assumed would happen. Kevin and I and some of the kids would watch a few episodes. Eventually they would get sick of it and I would end up watching the rest on my computer by myself.

I was big time wrong. We watched the first episode which, of course, involoves the plane crash. My kids ran upstairs and refused to watch anymore. Kevin, Katie, Emily and I kept watching. Eventually all the kids ended up on the couch as we made it through several more episodes. Because school was out, we could watch two to three episodes per night. Somewhere in that first season, we became obsessed. Especially the little girls.

All their pretend play at the lake, in the backyard, etc, was entirely focused on Lost. Charlie, Sayid, Sawyer, Jack and Hurley became household names. We talked about them at dinner as if they were real people. Kevin would walk into the bathroom at night as I was brushing my teeth asking what I thought about a particular scenario and we would spend an hour debating a friggin television show.

The best/worst part was the weeks where we could not watch at all. Since Anna and Katie are only here every other week, we had to hold off watching any episodes while they were gone. When it was their Sunday night to come back to our house, all five of them and often Kevin would pester me with constant cries of "When are we gonna watch Lost?" We very nearly broke our 'no tv during dinner rule'.

I feel like we are a pretty close family and I know it's strange but somehow, this tv show made us closer. We laughed a lot. We cried a little (Charlie's death was very hard on Anna and me especially :) And we all waited for the logo to appear at the end of every episode so we could hear Ava say 'Lost" (She does this really creepy voice. You had to be there.)

And now we begin the long wait until the next season is released in December. At that time we will gorge ourselves on those episodes and await the final season which is supposed to air sometime in 2010.

I almost wish it would never end.

2 comments:

Zebraman said...

Pre-order season 5! Now!

Nick said...

Now that winter is approaching, you have inspired me to resume watching LOST online.