Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Book Review



The 19th Wife is the most thought provoking book I have read in quite a long time. It's a novel that alternates between the story of the beginnings of the Mormon church and the present day polygamist sect known as "The Firsts". I honestly can't decide which one I find more interesting.

I must admit that I have had a weird fascination with plural marriage since I watched the first season of "Big Love' on HBO. One thing seems obvious to me throughout every time period and situation where polygamy exists. Any woman who really loves her husband cannot tolerate the idea of sharing him with another woman. It was true of Rachel and Leah in the book of Genesis and it's been true ever since. Like so much other nonsense, polygamy is something women just tolerate. I'm sure if you were to ask those women who still participate in plural marriages today, they will say that they are happy, fulfilled, blah, blah, blah. I ain't buying it. Also, seeing that Learning Channel special called "My Husband's Three Wives" pretty much sealed my hatred for this despicable practice.

Let's just be honest about this. If Joseph Smith had created a religion and then decided that it would be a good idea for all the women in his sect to take multiple husbands, how do you think that would have gone over. If you answered 'like a ton of bricks', then you are correct. Ann Eliza, one of the main characters in this book and the 19th wife of Brigham Young says it best. Polygamy is man's attempt to legitimize adultery. Amen, sister.

No comments: