Tuesday, October 28, 2008

7 days

"I still believe in a place called Hope." So ended Bill Clinton's infomercial played at the 1992 Democratic National Convention. I was eighteen years old, already a political junkie, and I wept as I watched him accept the nomination. And, yeah, it's probably one of the cheesiest lines ever but it worked because we, as a nation, were hungry for that hope. Starved by 12 Republican years.

It was the first election where I would be eligible to vote. I was at MTSU and the excitement about that election was palpable. I was convinced that Bill Clinton could change the world. And he did. But he sure caused me a lot of embarrassment along the way.

In 1992, even more than Clinton, I was fascinated by Al Gore. Having grown up in Tennessee, I had lots of Gore exposure prior to 1992. The night before the election, flyers were posted all over campus announcing a rally to be held on the tarmac at the Nashville airport to greet Al and Tipper as they returned to Tennessee to cast their vote. My best friend Debbie and I jumped in the car and headed that way. The plane was to come in around midnight. It was fairly chilly that night and the plane was delayed. I don't know how many people were there that night but in my memory it seems like hundreds. People of every age holding signs and chanting "It's time for them to go!" until the plane landed. I can't imagine that Gore was unaware of the rally but he seemed genuinely shocked to see us all there. He must have been beyond exhausted but he never showed it. He took the microphone and said " I've got a good feeling about today." The crowd went nuts. After the rally, Gore stayed for long enough to shake every hand that was offered to him. When it was my turn, all I could think was "One day this man is going to be President of the United States."

I was wrong about a lot of things...

Wrong about Clinton (Whom I still love and spent most of the late 90's defending. You owe me Big Dog.)

Wrong about Gore ( Who, in my defense, was actually the rightful president no matter what the Supreme Court said)

Wrong about Edwards ( Sweet biscuits I am still so pissed off about this. I may need counseling.)

16 years later, I ponder another election. Lots of life has happened to me since 1992. But I am amused at how similar I still am to that idealistic 18 year old. I still believe that politcal participation matters. I still believe that people can make a difference. I still believe that America is worth it. I still believe that the constitution deserves defending. I still believe that democracy is responsibilty.


I hear Barack Obama speak and I still believe in a place called hope.

No comments: