Friday, May 30, 2008

Modest Proposal

"When guys are persistent, it's romantic, they make movies about that. If it's a woman, then they cast Glenn Close." - Ally McBeal



I happened upon this quote while reading Shakesville. It made me laugh initially, but then I was struck by how true this statement really is.

Case in point. One of the guys that I go to church with went through a divorce last Christmas...5 months ago. His ex-wife initiated the divorce and he starting dating about 45 seconds after she moved out. I'm not judging him. He was ready to move on and...well...he did. He started dating his current girlfriend in March.

Here's the story they told last Sunday.

She had a trip to Paris scheduled with her girlfriends before she ever met him. He made contact with one of the friends and set it up that they would bring her to the top of the Eiffel Tower on the last day of their trip. He surprised her there and proposed. He also contacted her employer and scheduled an additional week of vacation for her so that the two of them could celebrate their engagement with another week in Paris.

At this point, your reaction is either:

1) That is the most romantic story ever I have ever heard. (This was the reaction of 90 % of my Sunday School Class. I thought some of them were gonna actually swoon.)

or


2) W.T.F?!? ( This was my reaction)

Look, I wish these two nothing but happiness and the state of their relationship is really none of my business.

But...

Just imagine, for a second, if that situation were reversed. Imagine that after dating for two months, she had made arrangements with his friends and employer. Imagine that she had proposed marriage. Now imagine how his buddies would have reacted to that little scenario.

Kids, I can assure you that she would not have drawn the admiration of the Baptists with that deal.

No comments: