Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Sometimes I forget she's only nine.

So apparently fourth grade is the "Year of the Project" which means I have put in a lot of time helping Savannah with schoolwork lately. The latest assignment is a speech she has to give for 4-H. It can be on any topic. We were discussing it in the van this morning.

Me: What do you think you want to write about?

Savannah: I don't know.

Me: Well, it can be about anything. What are you interested in that you might like to research?

Savannah: I don't know.

Me: Why don't you do something about the political parties? (She's been watching primary coverage with me and has shown a lil interest.) You could do a brief outline of the genesis of the two main political parties and then briefly describe how Republicans and Democrats have come to dominate our political discourse.

One full minute of silence.

Savannah: I thought I might do something about dolphins.

Me: That could work too, I guess.