Monday, August 6, 2007

Vacation



I'm not sure you can characterize something as a "getaway" if you have to take two cars, 15 bags of groceries, 5 little girls and two teenage boys. Nevertheless, we did just that. With much fanfare, I loaded all five girls into the mini van and began, what would become, a vain pursuit of Kevin, who was supposed to be just ahead of me in the car with Dylan and Dylan's friend Connor. Our destination...Gatlinburg.

(I should also note that Emily was not able to go with us because she was in Florida visiting a friend for a few weeks. I really missed her because, not only is she a big help and pretty good company for me, the kids will actually do what she tells them. Even my own kids. Seriously.)

After confirming the directions, I quickly abandoned my attempt to keep up on the interstate. Kevin assured me he never got above 80mph and I assured him that he was lying. Anyway, we settled on the fact that perhaps my speedometer was broken. The drive went great and, miraculously, we made it all the way to Pigeon Forge without a bathroom stop.


We arrived at the cabin and had one of the best moments of the whole vacation watching the kids reaction to the place. I realized it's probably not a good idea to stay somewhere on vacation that is nicer than the home that you live in for the rest of the year. I came to this realization watching my kids run from one room to another screaming "It has a hot tub!"... "jacuzzi!"..."pool table!" "stairs!" They acted like those disadvantaged kids that get sent on vacation by charitable organizations. ...and I guess, in a sense, they were :)

The place was just fantastic. The fact that we had to drive up the side of a friggin mountain to get to it really didn't diminish our love for the location and amenities.

The girls could not get enough of the hot tub. Do not be fooled. The same kids that will do anything to get out of taking a bath will drive you insane asking to get into a hot tub.

Monday, Kevin spent about 672 dollars for us all to play putt-putt. We all had a great time. And, really, it was money well spent because A) Kevin and I both won a free game that we will never get to redeem but damn it, we won something and B) I got a great picture that Kevin won't let me blog but will make it onto a coffee mug at some time in the future.

Tuesday, we visited Dollywood which was the only disappointment of the whole trip. It rained...a lot. When the weather was cooperating, Kevin and the boys rode the big roller coasters and I ventured to the other side of the park in search of something a little tamer for the girls to do. The only downside to this plan is that there were three girls too short to ride unaccompanied and just one of me. I had been hyping an amusement park trip to my girls for over 6 months so I was a little bummed when we sloshed out that afternoon having spent 150 bucks to ride 5 rides.

The kids got over their disappointment in a hurry when we spent that evening at the Dixie Stampede. Admittedly, it's an overpriced, cheesey production. But how many times can you actually say that you watched pig races, mini buffaloes, and dance numbers featuring costumes too tacky for Dolly Parton herself while simultaneously tearing apart a rotisserie chicken with your bare hands? The kids are still talking about it.

Last year, the girls and I went on vacation with my parents. And while I was never alone, I was awfully lonely. It's no fun being the single parent in a world that seems completely populated by happy, intact families. So this vacation was a lot more work, more kids, more money and more drama. But at the end of every day there was this...


And I can honestly say that, for my little portion of the family, it was one of our best times ever because when mama is happy...well, you know...

1 comment:

Zebraman said...

I'm verklempt! Your ending really made me feel great!

I know that Dollywood was a big let down and I'm sorry for that. We'll do it again some time and, next time, we'll stay way too long and ride way too many rides.

Of course, your girls will be big enough to ride everything by next year while my girls will still need to stick with the kiddie rides. :^D

-Kev