Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bible Tuesday - Revelation Part 9


Write this to Thyatira, to the Angel of the church. God’s Son, eyes pouring fire-blaze, standing on feet of furnace-fired bronze, says this:
“I see everything you’re doing for me. Impressive! The love and the faith, the service and persistence. Yes, very impressive! You get better at it every day.
Revelation 2:18-19

Jesus sees everything you are doing for him. 

I am preaching to myself here.  A few weeks ago, I was organizing my curriculum for my 2-3 year old class.  I decided to do all of it at one time and just be completely set for the next 12 weeks.  Our class has almost tripled in size in the last two years.  That means that instead of 20 total packets to put together each week, we now do almost 60.  And so I embarked on that task first thing one Friday morning.  By 8PM that night, every flat surface of my kitchen and dining room was covered in preschool Bible lessons.  It was so overwhelming to behold that I took a picture of it.  My plan was to post it on Facebook.  But then I began to realize that the only reason I would post such a photo was to get some sympathy and recognition from my friends.  You see, very few people are aware of the work I do to coordinate that class each week.  Ya'll...I make it look too dang easy!!!  I just wanted someone to see that work and acknowledge it.  I wanted to glorify the work instead of the God for whom I was working. And that was wrong. 

All too often, I forget why I serve.  I'm not sure how it happens.  I know better.  Every week when I glue cotton balls on cardboard clouds I do so with one purpose.  I want to lay a foundation for Christ in the lives of those children.  Not one of those kids in my class is going to become a baptized believer while under my care.  But I fully believe that the word of God has power and that power is as available to a 2 year old child as it is to an adult. 

Are you slaving away at some minstry nobody notices?  Are you currently resisting a call to serve in a place that doesn't seem 'big' enough?  Maybe it's time to accept that God is calling you to something...smaller.  Jesus is telling us here that he sees everything.  Let's start believing that.

No comments: