Sunday, March 20, 2011

Book Review - The Weird Sisters


"I'm going to change," she whispered to herself , as if the words had the power to do the hard work for her."


Oh this book made me so happy. There is just no way I can adequately describe how awesome it is. Here is my attempt anyway.

First, the book is about three sisters. They all return home to help their mother recover from cancer. It was interesting because these three girls, just like my own, fall comfortably into the birth order cliche. I grew up without sisters so I am fascinated by the interaction.

The aspect of the book that thrilled me though is the family's obsession with reading. The dad is a college professor who focuses his life (and most of his conversation) on William Shakespeare. The rest of the family will read whatever whenever.

"Then you'll be needing a library card, won't you?" she said finally, as though that solved everything (which, in our family, it nearly did)."


That quote very nearly summarizes my entire life. I grew up in a family of non-readers. Any my large extended family not only did not read, they made fun of me for my reading habit. "Why does she always have a book?" I heard that question many, many times. The answer was pretty simple. I liked books more than people. That's not technically true. I just liked the people in books more than the people in real life. They were so much more interesting. They mostly still are.

If you are a 'reader', then read this book. You'll see yourself and find it amusing. If you're not a reader...what the hell is wrong with you?

No comments: