Saturday, March 26, 2011

Book Review - Quick Takes



This book annoyed me. It has great reviews at Amazon so I'm apparently in the minority here. Basically it is a weight loss memoir. It's weird because the author claims she is fat but does not care. (Full disclosure: I never believe it when fat people say they don't want to lose weight. Never. I keep hearing about these people. They're fat. They're healthy. They're happy. Blah, blah, blah. I file these people in with Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. I want to believe but I just need some evidence.) The author decides that she will diet basically to create a book. She has written successful memoirs in the past about other struggles in her life so she supposes weight loss should provide her with tons of new material. It didn't. You will be shocked to learn that she eats less and exercises more. It works. She loses 30 pounds and realizes how strong she really is.

Whatever...

I could write a weight loss memoir 10,000 times better than this one but, apparently, you actually have to lose weight to write a weight loss memoir.




This book, on the other hand, was ten kinds of good. This was a Kindle freebie. Try to ignore the lame cover and title. It's short and trust me here, it ain't literature. But it is so funny. Confession time. I read this book in one sitting and I literally LOL'd for 3 straight hours. I just loved the main character. When I was describing her to Kevin, I realized that I have much in common with the heroine of this book. She isn't a chubby. Baptist housewife but her reactions and style of speech is very similar to yours truly. So, if you hate my guts, you prolly wanna skip this one.



This was free on Kindle too. The blurb described it as a 'delightful romp". Listen people. I spend most of my life doing laundry or pushing a grocery cart. I need a delightful romp from time to time and I don't care what you think about it.




I don't know what to tell you about this one. It got great reviews. I've read other good books by this author. But I just wasn't feeling it. It's about two sisters whose mom cracks up and leaves. That's pretty much the book. If it ever gets made into a movie, I think Nicole Kidman will play the mom. I hope it doesn't get made into a movie.

No comments: