Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It only took 6 years

She's finally taken my place.

For the first time in thirteen years, I won't be spending Christmas with my ex-husband's family. Look...I get it. You're not supposed to celebrate holidays with your ex-husband's family. That doesn't mean it's not a hard habit to break.

From the very beginning of our divorce, I knew that someday Lia would completely replace me. Ryan's family always supported me and the girls in any way that they could. I could not have asked for more. But I always knew that eventually he would reconnect with them and that they would forgive him. That's how it should be. I know that. I was also a major instigator of that recovery process. I have been hounding both sides for quite a few years to head in this direction. And now that they have, they don't need me anymore.

Honestly, plenty of people still need me. I'm not trying to be pathetic here. I have a large family to love and be loved by. But some of the logistics are hard to clear up in my mind. When Ryan and I married, his brothers all had very young children. I watched them grow up. Am I still their aunt? Would I be invited or welcome at their graduations or weddings? Are they my ex-nieces and nephews? Can any one of them sit across that festive table from her without thinking of how she got there? Am I the only one who still thinks about it?

I think my new year's resolution is gonna be to not think about it anymore. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: