Monday, December 14, 2009

Book Review




This was one of those books. You know...the kind of books that everyone reads, reviews and talks about. The kind that are habitually on request at the library. As usual with these kinds of books, I didn't get a chance to read it until years after the hoopla settled down. (I won't request a book at the library. I just wait til it shows up on the shelf. And, no, I have no idea why I do this.) More often than not, I am disappointed by very popular books. Not this one. This book was worth buying which is high praise indeed coming from me.

It's a simple story really. A female journalist begins a correspondence with a group of people living on a small island off the English coast just after WWII. The book is composed entirely of letters which can either be awesome or horrible depending on the author. In this case, it worked like a charm. I picked out all my favorite quotes but out of an abundance of restraint, I'm only gonna post a few of them.

"Men are more interesting in books than they are in real life."
Amen, sister

"Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books."
Yep...

"I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with."
That is one of the truest things I have ever read in my entire friggin life.

"So it says in my Encyclopedia, but I bought it secondhand for 4 shillings and I don't trust it."

"My neighbor Evangeline Smythe is going to have twins in June. She is none too happy about it, so I am going to ask her to give one of them to me."

"With the Germans you never knew which way they'd blow - they were a moody people."

" I think you learn more if you are laughing at the same time."

No comments: