Friday, April 3, 2009

Movie Review




I've had this movie in my Netflix queue since it was released. It has always had a "Very Long Wait". Let me just tell you something. If you have a movie in your queue that is listed as "Very Long Wait" for over two months, you just need to get yourself to Hollywood Video and rent a copy immediately.

So I did.

If loving Kirk Cameron is wrong, I don't want to be right.
You heard me.
I love him.

I only mention this to admit my obvious bias in reviewing this movie. I knew I would be watching this flick alone because Kevin does NOT love Kirk Cameron. It's a character flaw of his that I have decided to overlook. So I watched the movie in the car while the girls were at choir practice.

What can I tell you? It's a cheesey, christian movie that made me cry for two full hours. The story deals with a couple on the brink of divorce and "The Love Dare" that the husband attempts in order to save his marriage. If I had watched this movie during my divorce, I probably would have been hospitalized. Even after all this time and a new, deliriously happy marriage, this movie uncovered many raw emotions for me. It was hard to watch people trying hard to save their marriage when I never got the opportunity to save my own.

I get very frustrated by the way our society values marriage. We live in a world where people give up too easily. Marriage is viewed as a contract that can be broken whenever we're 'unhappy'. I'll stop there but just know that I could blog about that last sentence for the next three years and it wouldn't be pretty.

Go ahead and watch this movie. It's not Oscar worthy. There are some scenes that are embarrassing. But overall, you will feel better after having seen it. And I bet you'll fall just a little bit in love with Kirk Cameron even if you don't admit it to anyone.

No comments: